Join Our Team: Impact Intern
Pencils of Promise (PoP) is seeking a detail-oriented and self-motivated Impact Intern for the fall semester. The intern will support the Impact team with budgeting, grant research, and overall support for country teams. This is an unpaid internship from September 2020 – December 2020, ideally 30-40 hours per week, and the intern must receive course credit from an academic institution for this placement. Verification of course credit must be provided to PoP prior to the intern’s start date. Please submit your resumé and cover letter in PDF format. Please be prepared to bring a computer daily.
- Main Intern Projects:
- Creation of a multi-year budget. This budget will be created through collaboration with the COO, Senior Manager of Program Impact, and country teams. This project will be conducted with guidance from the Senior Manager of Program Impact. No prior experience with budgeting is required.
- Supporting the Manager of Program Impact in managing current partnerships, developing guides and resources that support the development of partnerships in NYC and country teams in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos and creatively collaborate to grow potential partners.
- Research, draft, edit, and submit grant proposals with the support of the Impact team. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to work on improving or refining their writing skill. No writing expertise is required.
- Support the Impact team in other related tasks such as managing the team’s quarterly goals during weekly meetings, joining calls with country teams to take notes and track next steps, and conducting research for further programmatic work.
- Creation of supporting documents that outline PoP’s programmatic work for the Impact and/or country teams in Ghana, Guatemala and Laos.
- Currently enrolled in an academic institution that will issue credit for completed internships
- Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus
- Strong communication and consistent adherence deadlines
- Interest in international development and education
- Strong commitment to PoP's mission
At this internship, you will learn:
- Managing and growing partnerships
- Budgeting for multi-year programming
- Use of google docs and google sheets, including the use of formulas, conditional formatting, freezing rows and columns, protecting sheets, and formatting
- Grant writing basics, writing to a specific audience of funders
- Project management skills
- Note taking, organization skills, and prioritizing next steps from meetings
- Intercultural communication skills
About the Office
We are a passionate, driven, and fun group of individuals. We have a unique, energetic office culture that is sometimes casual and light, but, at all times, the PoP team is very much focused and committed to working hard in the name of our cause. You will find nothing besides positive attitudes, determination, and smiles at the PoP office.