Join Our Team: Operations Intern
Pencils of Promise (PoP) is seeking a detail-oriented and self-motivated Operations Intern for Fall 2020 semester at 20-30 hours per week (or aligned with academic course requirements). The intern will support day-to-day operations at PoP with the ultimate goal of improving efficiency of business practices and paving the way for PoP colleagues to successfully execute their specific job tasks. This is an unpaid internship from September to December 2020 and the intern must receive course credit from an academic institution for this placement. Verification of course credit must be provided to PoP prior to the intern’s start date. Please submit your resumé and cover letter in PDF format. Please be prepared to use your own computer daily.
- Intern Program Project:
- PoP will be embarking on a hybrid, remote-first in-office work policy starting in September 2020. This approach is intended to provide PoP NYC team members with the option of working in the office (1115 Broadway, New York, NY) on a limited basis. In order to ensure the safety of all employees, a policy and scheduling system will need to be developed that adheres to both PoP COVID-19 policy and building requirements. This project will be the intern’s primary responsibility during the first weeks of the internship.
- Clean-up and organize Box.com files and filing system
- Assist in Impact Council recruitment and communication calendar
- Conduct phone screening for salaried employee job prospects
- Assist in all onboarding for incoming interns and salaried employees
- Support the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Director of Learning & Evaluation in other related tasks as needed
- Currently enrolled in an academic institution that will issue credit for completed internships
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong sense for and passion about business administration and successful implementation of day-to-day tasks
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus
- Strong communication and consistent adherence deadlines
- Interest in international development and education
- Strong commitment to PoP's mission
At this internship, you will learn:
- Business operations adjustments associated with the global COVID-19 response
- Non-profit business administration, such as license management and insurance
- Exposure to professional employer organization (PEO) management
- Executive level decision making processes
- Strategic planning regarding an understanding of income vs expenditures at the end of a fiscal year
About the Office
We are a passionate, driven, and fun group of individuals. We have a unique, energetic office culture that is sometimes casual and light, but, at all times, the PoP team is very much focused and committed to working hard in the name of our cause. You will find nothing besides positive attitudes, determination, and smiles at the PoP office.