The V.P., Advancement is responsible for maximizing the partnership and philanthropic contributions of donors and other stakeholders to ensure financial sustainability and accelerate the strategy of Pencils of Promise (PoP). PoP works to improve public education systems in Ghana, Guatemala, and Laos in partnership with local leadership, unlocking the full potential of students around the world.
In this role, you would manage a team of 7 people, leading all fundraising streams (individual, corporation, and foundations) and broader external influencing in the donor community (e.g., external marketing communications, events, planned giving, campaigns). The current annual development goal for this team is $8M – 10M towards global efforts. The Advancement team also works in partnership with our Country Leads, each based in Ghana, Guatemala, and Laos, to ensure collective and collaborative development efforts in our local country contexts.
Strategic Vision and Planning (20%)
- Create a clear and compelling short and long-term vision and strategy for the advancement team’s fundraising, communications, and marketing functions.
- Invest stakeholders in this vision and strategy.
- Set clear priorities, goals, and benchmarks that you and your team will assess success and progress. – Identify and execute key milestones and deliverables that move us closer to the short and long-term vision, respond to risks and issues, and monitor the impact and progress.
Fundraising and Donor Stewardship (30%)
- Manage all fundraising activities, including designing and implementing strategies for increased revenue for programs and capital needs.
- Establish a path to the goal (~$8M) and determine the priority activities to be undertaken. – Engage senior leadership in overarching fundraising engagements and updates as necessary (e.g., C.E.O., C.O.O., Country Leads, etc.).
Board Management (10%)
- Partner with the Chief Executive Officer to engage the Board in development efforts. – Develop fundraising reports and inform the Board.
Marketing and Communications (20%)
- Oversee PoP’s branding and messaging.
- Manage key communications and marketing initiatives including website, newsletter, web-based fundraising, and social media to broaden donor base and increase awareness
- Create and manage high-stakes reports, proposals, and donor collateral to ensure exceptional communication and inspiration.
Team Management and Operational Execution (20%)
- Develop operational planning processes and tracking to ensure effective team execution towards results, including management and use of Salesforce, Constant Contact, etc.
- Participate in organizational planning and integration processes.
- Set the vision for and establish a team culture focused on core values and achieving results. – Directly manage and coach a team of at least 3-4 direct reports within a broader team of seven.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Salesforce use and management
- 10+ years of work experience, including at least 5-7 years in a senior development role (or related function)
- Demonstrated track record of leading a team to achieve ambitious revenue goals – Experience working for an organization that has a global context is a plus
- J.D. or M.B.A. a plus
- 20% travel required, once travel is resumed (ability to travel internationally)
- Authorized to work in the U.S. – REQUIRED
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, early mornings
- Willingness and ability to attend in-person meetings (subject to local public health regulations)